Thursday, July 16, 2009

Comments Elsewhere: Notecards Solution

Left this comment on Creative Writing Corner, one of the blogs I follow, when asked What do you do when you're torn between creative possibilities and real-world responsibilities?

When I'm working on a real-world something and inspiration strikes, I make notes on a 3x5 index card. Too small? Nope. All I'm doing is making notes, not writing the thing. I include the specific reasons why the idea took me over in the first place. I spend no more than fifteen minutes and one index card to make my notes. Then I set it aside until a more opportune time. It's hard sometimes, but it beats having the rest of your responsibilities turn to mush while you're doing something else.

For an ongoing solution, I try to make sure to schedule both real-world and creative responsibilities into each workday. Sometimes both won't fit. When they do, though, it makes a huge difference. Balance is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment